File a Complaint against a Contractor in NJ

File a complaint against a contractor in NJ – Many of my clients ask for my assistance when they want to file a formal complaint against a contractor with the State of New Jersey in addition to filing a lawsuit against them. The New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs requires home improvement contractors  to register with the State pursuant to the New Jersey Contractor’s Registration Act, N.J.S.A. 56:8‐136 et seq., and provides a formal process where homeowners or their attorneys can file a complaint against a NJ home improvement contractor. The Director of the Division of Consumer Affairs has the power to suspend or revoke a NJ home improvement contractor’s registration, or assess a penalty, upon proof that the the contractor:

  1. Has obtained a registration through fraud, deception or misrepresentation;
  2. Has engaged in the use or employment of dishonesty, fraud, deception, misrepresentation, false promise or false pretense;
  3. Has engaged in gross negligence, gross malpractice or gross incompetence;
  4. Has engaged in repeated acts of negligence, malpractice or incompetence;
  5. Has engaged in professional or occupational misconduct as may be determined by the director;
  6. Has been convicted of any crime involving moral turpitude or any crime relating adversely to the activity regulated by the Contractor’s Registration Act;
  7. Has had his authority to engage in the activity regulated by the director revoked or suspended by any other state, agency or authority for reasons consistent with this section;
  8. Has violated or failed to comply with the provisions of any act or regulation administered by the director; or
  9. Is incapable, for medical or any other good cause, of discharging the functions of a licensee in a manner consistent with the public’s health, safety and welfare.

If you have been a victim of an unscrupulous contractor in NJ and you want to file a complaint against him, call Didieo Law Firm, LLC today at 201-213-0883 to schedule a consultation to discuss filing a lawsuit and/or complaint against a home improvement contractor in NJ.

When can you sue a NJ contractor under the Consumer Fraud Act?

In New Jersey, you can sue a home improvement contractor under the Consumer Fraud Act when:

1. The contractor uses any unconscionable commercial practice, deception, fraud, false pretense, false promise or misrepresentation in connection with the advertisement, sale or performance of his services;

2. The contractor knowingly conceals, suppresses or omits any material fact; or

3. The contractor violates certain statutes or regulations designed ot implement the Consumer Fraud Act. Such laws include the Home Improvement Practices regulations and the Home Improvement Contractor Registration Act. Among other things, these laws prohibit the contractor from:

  • Failing to register with the Division of Consumer Affairs;
  • Failing to provide the consumer with a written contract;
  • Failing to provide the consumer with written change orders;
  • Failing to provide the start and end dates in the contract;
  • Delaying work without reason;
  • Requesting that the consumer sign a certificate of completion or make final payment before the work is complete;
  • Failing to obtain the proper permits;
  • Failing to provide guarantees and warranties in writing;
  • Falsifying the contract price; and
  • Pressuring the consumer to begin work when no agreement has been reached.

This list is not meant to be exhaustive. There are many other actions and inactions which constitute consumer fraud by a NJ contractor.

A successful New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act claimant may be awarded treble (triple) damages, attorney’s fees and court costs. If you have been a victim of New Jersey Consumer Fraud by a contractor, call Gary M. Didieo, Esq. at Didieo Law Firm, LLC today to arrange a consultation to discuss the possibility of filing a New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act claim against your contractor. Gary M. Didieo represents consumers in NJ Consumer Fraud Act lawsuits in Bergen, Passaic, Morris, Hudson and Essex counties, and throughout the entire State of New Jersey.